"Does anybody know if there's any laws on Parkour in Southern California? Are there any rules or limitations?"
~Joe Mengel

There are no laws pertaining specifically to parkour, there are only those laws that apply to the general public. Generally if you are courteous, respectful and follow common sense then you should be okay. Many people respect parkour and are nice people and will leave you alone if you respect them and follow their advisements.

Respect is sometimes overlooked when traceurs consider training, but it is immensely essential. If we don’t respect the locals and property owners (the majority of any traceur’s training occurs on other people’s property) then they will not see any reason to respect us back. There have been cases where locals have opted to demolish architecture and certain areas because they drew traceurs to the area who did not respect any of the locals or the other architecture (leaving scuff marks on walls, mocking locals who ask them to leave et cetera). We have to respect that our training can only happen if we receive reciprocating respect.

Expanding on the statement “the majority of any traceur’s training occurs on other people’s property” with regards to the original question, it isn’t too difficult to guess what the main law broken by traceur is: trespassing. It can be difficult to recognize and avoid trespassing but it is very commonly broken, knowledgeably or elsewise. The key things to keep in mind when confronted on the grounds of trespassing are: respect the person confronting you and don’t mock them or do any of the other stupid things that build negative stereotyping; state the truth and try to get them to understand the nature of your training and that you meant no harm; apologize profusely and if you tell them that it won’t happen again, ensure that it doesn’t. Obviously if the individual is eager to prosecute you then they will do so, and it can be scary but just keep in mind those previous three things and you should do alright (unless you have said it enough times to lose credibility).

A personal example comes from a session less than a week ago when I was teaching a new traceur some basics at a local hotspot. The hotspot happened to be a school and when I went to teach some progression on a cat grab I chose a playground, using the side of the structure in order to vary jump height and distance. School is less than a week away and teachers and school administration are often at the schools preparing for the first week. During our training the school principal came outside and asked us politely to leave noting that the structure was meant for children. I apologized profusely stating my ignorance for not recognizing the potential damage to the structure that could of come from our training. After explaining a little bit about parkour I asked if it was alright if we trained in a different area of the school that was composed of walls, different levels and railings; the principal said we could provided that it wasn’t during school hours or when children were there.

Common sense and respect will almost always keep you out of trouble during your training. If you're doing something that would be illegal no matter the addition of parkour, then stop. People will generally be nice and ask you to leave if they see any conflict with law (be it trespassing or liability issues); and if you are polite in response, you shouldn't have any problems and they won't see any need to contact higher authorities.

Play it smart, play it safe, and have fun.

10 comments and questions

  1. Ryan Farnham // 26/1/12 03:43  

    Once I start doing Parkour (need to loose some weight first) I will carry a waiver on me ready to be signed and photo copied so that if it comes down to liability I will take care of my own injuries and I will respect property and if in the event I break property (unlikely) I'll cover the cost, that way they know they are covered.

  2. Matt Dykes // 9/9/12 00:46  

    great idea I should do that

  3. Anonymous // 20/3/13 20:53  

    It's the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read more things about it!

    Feel free to visit my web-site: table and chairs kids room

  4. Anonymous // 26/3/13 03:02  

    An intriguing discussion is definitely worth comment.
    There's no doubt that that you ought to write more about this topic, it may not be a taboo subject but generally people do not speak about such issues. To the next! Many thanks!!

    My page :: youth baseball player

  5. Anonymous // 30/3/13 04:14  

    Wow, superb blog format! How long have you been blogging for?
    you make blogging glance easy. The full glance of your web site is fantastic, as well as the
    content material!

    Feel free to visit my homepage; pilates ball exercises

  6. Anonymous // 30/3/13 11:13  

    I don't know if it's just me or if everyone else
    experiencing problems with your blog. It appears
    like some of the written text in your posts are running off the screen.
    Can someone else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them too?
    This could be a issue with my internet browser
    because I've had this happen previously. Thanks

    Also visit my web blog - bypass hand pruners

  7. Anonymous // 30/3/13 12:21  

    Hello! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an
    established blog. Is it hard to set up your own blog?
    I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I'm thinking about making my own but I'm not sure where to begin. Do you have any points or suggestions? Appreciate it

    my web site: outward hound pet carrier

  8. Anonymous // 21/5/13 03:44  

    I'm now not certain the place you are getting your information, but good topic. I needs to spend a while finding out more or understanding more. Thank you for excellent info I was on the lookout for this information for my mission.

    Feel free to surf to my weblog :: Beta Force

  9. Anonymous // 29/5/13 01:12  

    Asking questions are really fastidious thing if you are not understanding anything fully,
    except this piece of writing gives pleasant understanding yet.


    Feel free to surf to my website - Online pay day loans

  10. Anonymous // 8/6/13 00:28  

    Appreciation to my father who shared with me concerning this blog,
    this weblog is really remarkable.

    my blog; Le Parfait Skin Care - -