I listen to music like many others; However, I will never train with music. As a member of many parkour groups and forums I have seen numerous requests from people asking for some good music to practice parkour, run or exercise to. My response is always the same: don’t listen to music while training. Ultimately the choice is always up to you to decide how you will train, but allow me to offer my opinions on the matter.

A substantial piece of parkour that has to be felt to be understood is the interaction that a traceur makes with their environment. You should be able to listen to your environment and yourself while training. You want to be able to take in the beauty around you as well as cope with obstacles; you can not fully understand the complexity of your surroundings (and thus, your safety is compromised through your lack of awareness) when you are busy deciphering lyrics and listening to the melodies playing in your ear.

Music also impedes upon your self awareness while training. You are no longer as able to concentrate on your breathing or making your landings quieter. You don’t pay attention to the little things like the small piece of glass you are about to shoulder roll across or how big the drop on the other side of that rail really is. Even while walking down the street with headphones on you lose a great deal of awareness of your surroundings, and I can’t see why you would want to do the same while training where you are more than likely doing substantially more dangerous things than walking.


“I disagree. When working out, music can motivate you.”

Some people do feel this way and believe they can get what feels like a surge of energy from the deep bass lines or heavy metal beats of their favourite songs, but that isn’t right. I don’t mean to say that they don’t get a rush from their music, but that it isn’t proper or correct. The adrenaline rushing through your veins is synthesized from an unnatural source. You must have some motivational problems if you find yourself dependable on music for the energy to keep you going.

The only thing that any traceur should be dependent upon is gravity in hopes that they will come back down after a jump. In all seriousness, any form of dependability that is beyond the preservation of life (such as eating and breathing) is a hindrance and detrimental. When your music is absent and you are being chased or giving pursuit in a real life situation, what is going to motivate you to run faster and longer? While you may quip that being chased or pursuing is a good deal of motivation, that alone will not keep you going when you feel like giving up. You have to be independent in order to survive; everything that you are dependent upon is impermanent, and without independence you will be at a loss when all those things you have depended upon are gone.

Parkour is centred on the self: finding your mental and physical limits, being able to push yourself further, and acquiring self motivational skills among many others. At some point during your progression into parkour, you should start to hit a plateau and it is here that you will require your self motivational skills. If you do not work on being able to push yourself further and harder even when you feel like giving up, then eventually you are going to hit a brick wall (metaphorically, no pun intended) during your training.

This is by no means a message to abolish music, but a subtle thought provoking nudge suggesting that you may be better off moderating your music while training. I understand that many of those traceurs who have decided that they wish to train with music regardless of its detrimental side-effects will not acknowledge anything that I have said, so allow me to add in a couple other reminders for their benefit as well.

If you have chosen to listen to music while training, you should consider how you will secure your mp3 players and other devices while training for parkour. There is a great chance that such a device will fall out of a pocket during a vault, and it is as such that traceurs training may wish to consider an arm band to hold their player if not just utilize a securable pocket. There is also the problem with the headphone cables; the loose hanging wires are sure to get caught while training, and if they don’t pull your music player from your arm band or pocket to be damaged the headphones will be ruined due to disconnected or torn internal wires. As such you should keep the wires underneath a shirt, or find another alternative to the same effect keeping in mind that you need enough wire to remain flexible without the wires being stretched unnecessarily. The actual headphones should not be headphones at all but ear buds, as headphones are bulkier and more likely to fall off during activity. Finally, keep the volume at a level that allows you to still hear some of your environment, for the benefit of your own safety.

Conclusion/Summary.
While music can be a source of entertainment, and some find it to enable them to push further, it is detrimental in the long run. Listening to music while training impairs you judgment and senses; injury is more likely to happen as your awareness of your environment diminishes. While some traceurs will listen to music while training (and it is their and your choice), I suggest that you don't, for the reasons previously listed.

25 comments and questions

  1. Francis // 10/8/08 22:53  

    I agree, training with music can be unsafe, as it distracts you from being fully aware of the environment. (In fact, a lot of accidents happen when people have loud music on while crossing the street and are unaware of a passing car...)

    However, I disagree with going so far to say that listening to music while training will make you "depend on it". What about new traceurs who have yet to attain the perseverance / mental focus, and need a little push on a slow day? (Mental training takes time too...)


    And on that subject, any tips on the mental training aspect of PK?

  2. Anonymous // 26/2/13 13:29  

    I've been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

    Take a look at my page - top 5 wedding photographer

  3. Anonymous // 26/2/13 17:46  

    Αpргeсiating the сοmmitment you put into уour sіte
    and in depth infοгmation you рresent.

    It's nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the ѕame out of
    ԁatе rehashed іnformation.
    Wonderful reаd! I've saved your site and I'm includіng yоur RSS fеedѕ
    tо mу Google account.

    Also visit my weblog ... wedding photographs by jean arasanayagam

  4. Anonymous // 26/2/13 19:07  

    Hi! Do you knοw if theу make any ρluginѕ to hеlp with Sеаrch Engine Optimization?
    I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm nоt sеeіng very gooԁ gаins.
    If yοu know of аny please share. Cheеrs!


    Hеre is my web-sіte fotografos bodas madrid

  5. Anonymous // 26/2/13 19:08  

    Defіnitely imaginе that that you ѕаid.
    Yοur favorite reaѕon appeared to be
    on the net the easiest fаctoг to tаκe into account
    of. I sау tο you, I definitеly get
    iгked while fοlκs сonsider iѕsues thаt they
    just do not realizе аbout. You managed
    to hit the nail upon thе top and ԁefіned out the entiге thіng ωith no need siԁe-effeсts , other folκs can taκe a sіgnal.
    Will likely bе аgаin to get more.
    Thаnk уou

    Alѕο vіѕit my weblοg: fotografo de bodas tarifas

  6. Anonymous // 4/4/13 10:57  

    Very rapidly this web page will be famous among all blog people, due to it's pleasant articles

    Here is my blog bhamgo.Org

  7. Anonymous // 6/4/13 05:33  

    What's up it's me, I am also visiting this website
    regularly, this web site is actually fastidious and the viewers are in
    fact sharing fastidious thoughts.

    Also visit my blog - exercises to improve vertical jump

  8. Anonymous // 6/4/13 06:27  

    I loved as much as you'll receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an edginess over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

    Feel free to visit my website :: teaching degree on line

  9. Anonymous // 14/4/13 10:32  

    I am genuinely delighted to glance at this webpage posts which carries tons of helpful data, thanks for providing these data.


    Here is my web page :: exercises to increase vertical jump

  10. Anonymous // 15/4/13 16:56  

    This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!

    my webpage; vertical leap exercises

  11. Anonymous // 1/5/13 07:46  

    I do not even understand how I ended up here, however I believed this post used
    to be good. I do not recognise who you're but definitely you're going to a well-known
    blogger for those who aren't already. Cheers!

    Here is my web-site :: www.closeyourhole.com

  12. Anonymous // 3/5/13 19:12  

    Thanks , I have recently been looking for information approximately this
    subject for a while and yours is the greatest I've came upon so far. But, what concerning the conclusion? Are you sure concerning the supply?

    Feel free to visit my weblog - workouts For Vertical

  13. Anonymous // 6/5/13 09:52  

    Hi, Neat post. There's a problem along with your site in web explorer, would test this? IE nonetheless is the market chief and a large portion of folks will pass over your fantastic writing because of this problem.

    my web-site: Www.turktour.No

  14. Anonymous // 10/5/13 10:14  

    This post is priceless. How can I find out more?

    my web page - how to jump higher

  15. Anonymous // 10/5/13 14:03  

    Appreciate the recommendation. Will try it out.


    Here is my webpage: workouts for vertical jump

  16. Anonymous // 15/5/13 22:49  

    Great beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website,
    how can i subscribe for a blog site? The account helped me a acceptable
    deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept

    Have a look at my weblog; http://www.ultimate-wuerzburg.de/

  17. Anonymous // 17/5/13 11:03  

    Hi it's me, I am also visiting this web site on a regular basis, this website is truly pleasant and the users are genuinely sharing pleasant thoughts.

    my webpage :: exercises for vertical

  18. Anonymous // 20/5/13 01:55  

    Woah! I'm really digging the template/theme of this blog. It's simple, yet effective.
    A lot of times it's difficult to get that "perfect balance" between usability and appearance. I must say you have done a fantastic job with this. Also, the blog loads extremely fast for me on Internet explorer. Superb Blog!

    My web blog worldmeetmarket.com

  19. Anonymous // 20/5/13 04:59  

    Very good info. Lucky me I discovered your site by chance (stumbleupon).
    I have book marked it for later!

    my blog; workouts to jump higher

  20. Anonymous // 22/5/13 02:57  

    It's appropriate time to make some plans for the long run and it's
    time to be happy. I've learn this submit and if I may I want to suggest you some attention-grabbing things or advice. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I wish to learn more things about it!

    Feel free to visit my web-site vertical jump program

  21. Anonymous // 22/5/13 06:05  

    Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is valuable and everything. Nevertheless just imagine
    if you added some great graphics or videos to give your posts more,
    "pop"! Your content is excellent but with pics and clips, this website could undeniably be one of the most beneficial in its field.
    Excellent blog!

    Stop by my blog; http://www.alleanzadellasalute.info/

  22. Anonymous // 23/5/13 01:15  

    Hmm is anyone else having problems with the pictures on this blog loading?
    I'm trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it's
    the blog. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.


    Here is my weblog - increase vertical jump

  23. Anonymous // 23/5/13 05:10  

    My family every time say that I am killing my time here at web, except I know I
    am getting know-how daily by reading thes nice content.

    Feel free to visit my web blog: workouts to increase vertical leap

  24. Anonymous // 25/5/13 04:16  

    Hello, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.

    When I look at your website in Firefox, it looks fine
    but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.

    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that,
    great blog!

    My weblog: gracenfriends.com

  25. Sam Teeter // 4/8/13 23:18  

    Eh, I don't know that music listeners are really dependent on it for motivation; it simply makes the experience more pleasant. I agree, however, that it seems very dangerous to distract yourself in any way.