From: *************@hotmail.com
To: parkourhelper@live.com
Subject: Kudo's
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 17:32:47 +0800

Hey PicPac.
I stumbled onto your site and found it really useful.Your articles on gear and media are rather inspiring and i decided to take your suggestion of starting a blog to keep motivated to train. Its a work in progress but i reckon i'll be able to run with it (no pun intended). So keep up the good work mate.
-Mike
http://flying-skittles.blogspot.com/
A while ago in an article focusing on how to keep motivation in training I suggested people start a training blog. Unfortunately my own personal training blog is long gone to the depths of the internet, so I cannot set much of an example that way. But apparently some people have taken the advice and have taken to trying it for themselves.

Mike is one of those people as seen above. He contacted me by e-mail with this beautiful message linking to what will become his own tracking of training as well as other things. Currently he is just starting out but has already posted a review on a new pair of shoes he got as a pre-birthday gift, his opinion on the "parkour park" controversy (which I fully agree with) and some more tidbits. I ask you to take a look at his blog if only to inspire him to keep in his own training and to say hi to a fellow traceur. Though hopefully you might take a leaf out of his book and track your own training.

TRACKING YOUR TRAINING

Tracking your training can be mundane at first: writing down everything you've done - how many reps of what, what gaps you made, what you need to improve on. However it is a very useful tool if you plan on doing parkour and indeed any form of athletic training for a length of time.

Why should you track your training? Motivation and comparison.

1 - Motivation: I tracked my workouts over the course of the summer and found myself feeling more obligated to train because of it. Even if you don't take the extra stretch and show off your training to other people, it still feels like you have some form of audience you have to appease - even if it is yourself. This causes you to push on and continue your training. I'm sure we have all hit one of those snags where you tell yourself "I won't train today, but I'll train hard tomorrow to make up for it," only to have tomorrow keep stretching into the future. I admit to it fully! When I kept a little journal of my activities though, I could see that gap in time and it made me feel kind of bad - so I would get back on track easier. If you are finding yourself hitting a motivational block - I fully suggest you try it.

2 - Comparison: Relating again to my own personal experiences, I have had times where I wonder why I've been doing the training I have been - it just didn't seem to be taking me anywhere. During my tracking, I was able to look back on previous days and fitness levels and see the difference in my physical ability - strength, endurance, flexability, stamina, etc. Furthermore, I was able to look back on the individual activities and see which ones seemed to do the most for me and which I needed to work on: if I could do 80 push-ups at the start of my training and only 90 a month later, yet had doubled the reps in my abdominal count - I know that my abdominal training has been worth it but maybe I need to focus more on being able to do more push-ups or find alternatives to that exercise. If you find yourself not needing motivation, then maybe the ability to compare is a reason for you to try tracking.

Of course, all this techinical tracking stuff isn't to deter from the fun of training and practicing. By all means it can add to it (though I respect that many of you can't see how). It adds another dimension as you try to outdo yourself, as you get better and better and try new things. If hyperactive children and confused/angsty teenagers can find writing in a journal attractive, why can't we do the same?

As always, feedback is appreciated. Happy training, PicPac

0 comments and questions